Monday, April 18, 2011

Cooperation for a Successful Outcome

It is difficult to sum up all that I have gained through this course because it has had a tremendous impact on me, to the point that I have decided to pursue a future carrer with a focus on the environmental challenges of the future. Before entering this class, I had some knowledge on the environment due to science courses I have taken in the past, but this course has allowed me to look at it from a different angle- the global environmental politics. I was able to learn about the conventions, protocols, theories, arguments, challenges, and politics of the environment movement, among many others. Thus, I was able to expand my knowldege in this area and realize that there were many more actors involve than what I had previously though. It seemed to me before that the solutions to the envionmental challenges were easier to pin-point at.  But in reality, its such a complex issue to address because it affects everyone- the businesss sector, goverments, communities, species, individuals, cities, housing, biodiversity, etc.With so many actors, where do you start? This a question that many probably ask. I believe that the most important thing I have taken friom this course is the ability to understand that this issue is full of complexities but it own nature, so to try to find a one-fits all type of solution, would be wrong. First, one must understand that there will have to be compromising, losing, and sacrificing from all these sectors. But most importantly, the believe that there has to be understanding and cooperation between all sectors, and especially, environmentalist must not focus on one envirnmental challenge, they need to be more open-minded to others and thus adapt solutions that can be more successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment