Monday, February 21, 2011

Thoughts on Food

Honestly, my food choices are solely based on my own taste preferences, convenience and cost. I tend to like more organic, vegetarian-like options, but these (unfortunately) are almost always more expensive than the typical fare. Environmental considerations are not usually at the forefront of my decision-making process in the grocery store or at a restaurant. They might influence my choices more if I was more informed on the subject of the environmental impact of different food items.

In regards to the food items that I’ve consumed over the last couple of days, I would say that the food item with the largest environmental impact is rice. Rice paddies have posed a huge environmental problem for Southern China, but new irrigation techniques are slowly eliminating this impact. The beverage that caused the most environmental harm is the plastic bottle of Coca-Cola that I bought on Saturday. Unfortunately, the plastic bottle is very bad for the environment and could end up swirling somewhere in the Earth’s oceans – as we learned last class. 

No comments:

Post a Comment